View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page Previous  1, 2

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: Re: Stats Entry Process
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:45 am 
I would like to have a discussion on stats for upcoming fall. I have had discussions with various people and have gotten different points of views. Points to be discussed:

1 should a player receive half an out for a game In which his team (he/she) doesn't win. Right now out shots per team do not equal wins where they did in years past.

2 should someone get 2 half shots or one full out shot for taking both legs out on best of three.

3 any other

I have had some debates/discussions on these two specifically but I'm sure there are others.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:56 am 
Ron,
The answers to your questions are:

1. Yes. The AllStars labelled "Outs" and "HalfOuts" are defined differently than the single category "Outs" in prior years, so they will not equal by design. A losing player who gets a HalfOut now will get 5 pts whereas in the past we would have got no credit.

2. That person would get 2 HalfOuts. (Note that for Player Points purposes, 2 HalfOuts = 10pts, and 1 Out also = 10pts).

I believe these points are addressed in the "Player Points Explained" post on the main website, but if we need to add to that post then we can certainly do that.

Rob.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:01 pm 
Rob

I know what they are currently but has this ever really been discussed if it should be? When we moved to New site, which you know I love, the change of half outs just sort of happened. Now there may have been a discussion on change that I wasn't privy to, but just think discussion should be had on matter if it hasn't been formally proposed. This isn't just my thoughts but people in my division over last year have asked me about and gave their opinions on knowing I was kind of involved in beginning process and updating stats.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:13 pm 
Uh... what's the actual debate here/what have the opinions been? That we shouldn't get credits for half outs? That outs should just be regular instead of half outs? Does it help that a "win" actually means more points?

It's also a more robust system overall with points being awarded for 171+s, highons/offs, etc...

Anyone is welcome to register for this site to chime in. Just send an email to dartsphilly@ gmail, too, so it doesn't get lost among the spam.

http://www.twitter.com/OEDLPhilly
http://www.facebook.com/OEDLdarts

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:16 pm 
Ron,

Yes, the stats parameters were discussed and voted upon by the Technology Committee prior to the start of the Fall 2013 season.

Three different scoring methods were presented and the winning method is the one that's been in place since that time.

When we chose to use the current method it was done with the understanding that we'd take a look at the standings (Player Points) to see if it was throwing up any anomalies and potentially make adjustments if necessary (although any such adjustment would necessarily result in some loss of comparability from season to season).

One of the ideas we looked at, but ultimately decided not to use, was the notion of weighting the points earned based upon the division in which they were earned. Thus, an Out or a Win in D1 would have earned more than it would had it occurred in D8, say. I think we made the right decision with this, but others may have a different view.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:39 pm 
Thanks for insight. I'll pass on info. Btw no weighting is right in my opinion.

Go to page Previous  1, 2